Thursday 14 June 2018

New Publisher & Author Spotlight

In the spirit of helping small publishers and new authors out, I am delighted to profile Steve Dressing and his new book, Game Keepers.



 I’m a new, self-published author with a book I think will be enjoyed by many if they can just find it. “Game Keepers” is the first of what I hope will be several books I publish over the next few years through my own publishing company, Number 6 Publishing. Turning from my career as an environmental scientist to a publisher and author of books for kids is quite a change. It has been a lot of fun, but there have been many new things to learn, most of which come with an unpleasant price tag. The world isn’t particularly kind to authors in my situation, but we’re a group that doesn’t give up easily.

Getting to the point of selling the book was probably the easiest part of the journey for me. Marketing has been a huge challenge, particularly after purchases by friends and family dried up. I know that the faithful have told others about the book but even with my large family that only takes you so far. It feels like my book is simply a needle in a huge haystack competing against the thousands of books neatly displayed in huge bookstores and featured on major websites. How do I get people to even bother to check the haystack to see if there is something worthwhile inside?

Multiple outlets are being used to advertise the book, including social media, libraries, and book stores.  That alone doesn’t set you apart, however, because this business is very competitive with an ever-growing group of talented new writers.  Of all the possible outlets, I want most to be able to share my book with the local community.  “Game Keepers” has a baseball theme, and I am currently a coach and an umpire in the neighborhood Little League.  I find it unethical, however, to use my platform in the Little League to advertise.  That has caused me to seek other outlets to reach this same community, outlets such as the local hardware store.  One day I would like to do a book reading at the store with both new and old faces from my community.   

I haven’t yet dreamed of being lost in one of Van Gogh’s beautiful piles of hay in his “Haystack in Provence”, but sometimes I feel that way.  Sometimes I feel as if my story is covered by layers of inescapable hay.  My hope is that people will come by, pick up a fork, and tear apart the haystack. Quickly the needle lost in the haystack becomes treasure.

You can find more details about the book here: https://www.number6publishing.com

Follow Number 6 Publishing on Twitter here: @Number6Publ 















2 comments:

  1. Great article Lot's of information to Read....Great Man Keep Posting and update to People..Thanks.
    miniclip, a10 game play, Jogos online

    ReplyDelete

  2. food games online
    basketball games
    soccer games play
    Great article Lot's of information to Read....Great Man Keep Posting and update to People..Thanks.

    ReplyDelete