Sunday 17 June 2018

Review: The Cryptic Pub Quiz

The Cryptic Pub Quiz The Cryptic Pub Quiz by Frank Paul
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A copy of this was provided free of charge from the publisher in return for an honest review.

I do love a good quiz. One that has a balance of straightforward questions and some that you are sure that you know, but aren't sure until you hear the answer. Sitting down to one of those where you struggle to comprehend what the question actually is, let alone what it is asking might be too much, but that is what the artist Frank Paul does on a regular basis at the Mill in Cambridge.

Since 2015, his cryptic quizzes have become legendary, full of anagrams, cryptic links, word searches and his amazing artistic creations. This book has collected some of his finest examples, including a Murder Mystery Advent Calendar of Doom, Eight Degrees of Kevin Bacon, Premature Obituaries, lots of palindromes and a Quizmas Carol.

Fiendish is an understatement.

I think his brain works in a totally different way to everyone else's, but if you love quizzes and verbal puzzles then this should be an essential book for your collection. His unique combinations of quizzes and games along with his wonderful art and very original games will have you exasperated and stumped in roughly equal measures; what is satisfying when you know or have worked out the answer. If you're still totally baffled, and I will admit I was on some of these.

Thankfully there are the answers in the back…

View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking fo
    miniclip car games, a10 games for kid, Jogo para menina

    ReplyDelete


  2. food games free
    play basketball games
    soccer games
    Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking fo

    ReplyDelete
  3. friv free online juegos
    2player games for kids
    io jogos 2019
    I don’t usually comment but I gotta state thanks for the post on this great one. I feel good when reading your posts. Those are what I want to know. Thank you for introducing useful information to us

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get to share my thoughts through my own blog and in sermons most Sunday mornings. Those people who serve the congregation as Worship Weavers often have an opportunity to share their thoughts on things that matter. And people who are a part of a covenant group can talk with each other, Yet there is no good way for most of us to share our thoughts, opinions, musings, and meditations with the wider congregation.
    free game 2019
    friv jogos gratis
    jogos online 360

    ReplyDelete