Friday 31 March 2017

Review: Falling Awake

Falling Awake Falling Awake by Alice Oswald
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I don’t read much poetry, but I had heard very good things about Falling Awake by Alice Oswald and as I had really enjoyed Dart by her I’d though that I’d give it a go. This collection is split into two parts, the first is individual poems, and the second half is titled Tithonus. Like Dart, this is deeply embedded in the natural world, and has the same haunting beauty.

This is one of those wordy days

There are a few poems and lines that stood out:
A Short Story of Falling: “It is the secret of a summer shower / to steal the light and hide it in a flower”
Fox: “My life / is laid beneath my children / like gold leaf”
Shadow: It is faint / it has been falling for a long time
Sunday Ballard: As they dressed the dust / flew white and silent through the house”

I really liked the collection in the first half of the book, but couldn’t get on with the poem that took up the second. Will still read more of her work though.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment